Happy 1st day of a new semester. You will create so many memories over the next few years. You will also create friendships that have the propensity to last a lifetime. My undergrad years were some of the best times of my life!! And i always have a great time reminiscing on those times with the classmates I shared them with. Here are a few tips to get you through:
1. Stay focused
2. Text while you are stationary, if you can. Don’t text & walk in or near the street
3. Get involved in at least 3 organizations; one that is aligned with your major, one that is aligned with your passion and one that makes you grow intellectually, emotionally and/or spiritually.
4. Meet new people
6. Memorize your id # and your social security number.
7. Stay hydrated (water)
8. Review and rewrite lecture notes EVERY NIGHT. If you don’t understand it, don’t write it until you have researched and comprehended
9. Turn your phone OFF during class so you wont be distracted; not on vibrate, OFF!
10. Make new friends
11. Keep in touch with old friends
15. Find school-life balance. Of course you should enjoy yourself and party but don’t forget why you are in college.
16. Create a daily to-do list and stick to it!!
17. Attend class on the days with the nastiest weather; those are the days professors give out extra credit points towards quizzes, tests and sometimes FINAL GRADES!
18. Respect and establish a relationship with your professors. Make sure they can match your face with your name.
19. Meet with Career Services NOW! Why wait until your last year of college to take advantage of this service? You can walk out of college with a job or have awesome internships just by being connected to career services.
20. Meet with your advisor at least 2 or 3 times a semester. Build a relationship with them! They will make sure you are on a the best path academically and they may be able to get you into a calls that is already listed as “full” or “wait-listed”.
21. Call your parents, grandparents or guardian nightly. That will ease your mind as well as theirs and make this transition a bit easier.
22. Be yourself. Don’t change who you are to fit in and don’t allow anyone to define YOU! Know thine self!
23. The person you dated in high school may become a different person once they enter college and that’s okay. If they are not aligned with what you have planned for your future or if they give you the cold shoulder, do not be afraid to let them go!
24. Do not sign up for credit cards unless you have to. Know what you are signing up for. Ask questions and keep up with your credit score via Credit Karma. You don’t ever want to ruin your credit; especially at such a young age. Bad credit can cause employers to not hire you for certain positions. Subscribe to The Budgetnista’s blog. She is a great financial coach!
25. ENJOY THE RIDE!